To enhance the student experience and improve student achievement through the deployment of open and distance education.
What we do
Support a community of practice, promote collaboration and knowledge-sharing and provide a focus for the development of high quality teaching and research in open and distance learning throughout the University of London.
- coordinate an advocacy and development network in the Member Institutions, Institutes and the Central University
- raise awareness of and promote discussion about learning and teaching innovation
- manage the distribution and monitoring of Teaching and Research Awards for the University of London
- provide training, knowledge management, development funding and consultancy services
- organising development events including symposia, seminars and conferences
- manage the work of a panel of experts and specialists, to provide recognised expertise of the highest standards.
- promote excellence in teaching that is focused on distance learning
- promote research into distance education within the University of London
- enhance distance learning and its status in higher education
- foster and evaluate pedagogic, technological and organisational innovation
- facilitate dissemination of best practice within the community of London Member Institutions.
Who we are
The Centre for Distance Education (CDE) is a University of London initiative to support the development of expertise in this field.
Our core function is to support the University of London and Member Institutions.
The University of London International Programmes Learning, Teaching and Assessment Sub-Committee has oversight of these activities.
There are currently 24 CDE Fellows drawn from across the University of London member institutions, and from thought leaders in the area of distance and open education.
Note: All student enquiries should be made to the Student Advice Centre or via the Student Portal.