University of London

Small Navigation Menu

Primary Menu

You are here:

  • Applicationsfunding your study

Undergraduate loans

Loans for course fees (UK only)

If you are studying towards your first undergraduate degree, Diploma or Certificate of Higher Education, you can apply for a part-time tuition fee loan. This will cover registration fees, examination entry fees, and London exam centre fees.

You won't be able to use these loans towards postgraduate courses, local teaching institution fees, study support sessions, or for exam centres other than London.

Student at home sitting in a library
Eligible courses are recorded on the Student Loans Company database, so you can find your course when applying for a student loan.

Submit your application via one of the following Student Finance bodies. Arrangements differ depending on where you live.

Eligible courses are recorded on the Student Loans Company database, so you can find your course when applying online for a student loan.

Please note the following:

  • Generally, you apply directly to the appropriate body. We cannot apply on your behalf.
  • If you are studying at a Further Education college, apply for a loan through your college.
  • You can only apply for a part-time loan, even if you are studying full-time.
  • You cannot apply for the maintenance grant / loan.
  • This loan cannot be used to pay application fees or transfer fees.

You should ensure that you enter the University of London (Worldwide) when selecting the University/College on the application. If you enter a member institution (e.g. King's, Queen Mary, Royal Holloway), your application will be delayed.


Your eligibility will depend on:

  • Is this your first HE course? Generally, you will only receive a student loan if this is your first higher education qualification (even if your previous course was self-funded).
  • Your nationality and residency status. You must be a UK national or have 'settled status' (no restrictions on how long you can stay). You must normally live in England, Scotland, Northern Ireland or Wales, and have lived in the UK for three years before starting your course.
  • Your study rate must be at least 25% of an equivalent full-time course in each academic year.

For full details on eligibility criteria:

Arranging payment

If your application for a part-time student loan is accepted, your Student Finance body will send you a 'financial notification' showing the loan instalments and payment dates.

Please send a copy of this to the Fees Office, via the Student Portal or by post, so we can confirm your registration status with the Student Loans Company.

Once we have provided confirmation and the first loan instalment is released, we will send your study materials and provide you with access to your Virtual Learning Environment.

If you are unable to send us your financial notification by 30 November, you should pay your registration fee so we can provide your materials for you to begin studying. We will refund this once the confirmation has been completed.

For further assistance

If you require further assistance please contact us:

I am unable to find my course on the Student Finance application.

Please ensure you have applied to the University of London International Programmes and that you have selected part-time study. If you are still unable to find your course, please contact us directly via your Student Portal.

How much funding should I apply for?

You should apply for the total fees for the current academic year: Registration Fee (Initial or Continuing) plus Examination Entry Fees plus London Exam Centre fees (if applicable).

If you are not sure, please contact us directly via your Student Portal. Incorrect information will delay your funding.

How do I complete registration if fees are paid direct to the University?

Complete sections one and two of your registration and forward your University Payment Advice to us to confirm your funding. Upon confirmation of your funding, you will be provided with instructions to complete your registration.

I've decided to transfer programmes. Do I need to inform Student Finance?

No. But you will need to notify us. We will submit a Change of Circumstances form to Student Finance.

What happens if I don’t receive my funding in time for the registration deadline?

In this case, you must pay your fees upfront to meet the deadline. Once your funding has been agreed, we will refund any fees paid in excess of your agreed loan.

What happens if I withdraw from the course?

You must notify us as soon as you decide to withdraw. Your fees are still payable except if you withdraw within the 14-day cooling off period. Student Finance will be notified of your withdrawal and the total loan amount we require for the academic session.