- (ST104a Statistics 1 and ST104b Statistics 2)
- and (MT1174 Calculus or (MT105a Mathematics 1 and MT105b Mathematics 2)
- or MT1186 Mathematical Methods).
- Probability measure.
- Conditional probability.
- Bayes’ theorem.
- Distribution function.
- Mass and density.
- Expectation operator.
- Moments, moment generating functions, cumulant generating functions.
- Convergence concepts
- Joint distributions.
- Conditional distributions, conditional moments.
- Functions of random variables.
If you complete the course successfully, you should be able to:
- Recall a large number of distributions and be a competent user of their mass/density and distribution functions and moment generating functions
- Explain relationships between variables, conditioning, independence and correlation
- Relate the theory and method taught in the unit to solve practical problems.
Unseen written examination (2 hrs).
- Grimmett, G. and D. Stirzaker. Probability and Random Processes. OUP.
- Casella, G. and R.L. Berger. Statistical Inference. Duxbury.
Course information sheets
Download the course information sheets from the LSE website.