The course may not be taken with:
- Matrices, vectors and their geometry
- Systems of linear equations
- Matrix inversion and determinants
- Sequences, series and difference equations
- Vector spaces and related concepts
- Diagonalisation of matrices
- Applications of diagonalisation
If you complete the course successfully, you should be able to:
- use the concepts, terminology, methods and conventions covered in the unit to solve mathematical problems in this subject
- solve unseen mathematical problems involving understanding of these concepts and application of these methods
- see how algebra can be used to solve problems in economics and related subjects
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the underlying principles of algebra.
Unseen written exam (3 hrs).
- Anthony, M. and M. Harvey. Linear Algebra: Concepts and Methods. (Cambridge University Press)
- Anthony, M. and N. Biggs. Mathematics for Economics and Finance: Methods and Modelling. (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press)
- Anton, H. Elementary Linear Algebra. (International Student Version). John Wiley & Sons (Asia) Plc Ltd.
Course information sheets
Download the course information sheets from the LSE website.