The unit also develops the student’s understanding of the theoretical concepts behind these methods.
This course may not be taken with:
- MT105a Mathematics 1
- MT105b Mathematics 2
- MT1186 Mathematical Methods.
- One-variable optimisation
- Functions of several variables
- Multivariate optimisation
- Differential equations
If you complete the course successfully, you should be able to:
- use the concepts, terminology, methods and conventions covered in the unit to solve mathematical problems in this subject
- solve unseen mathematical problems involving understanding of these concepts and application of these methods
- see how calculus can be used to solve problems in economics and related subjects
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the underlying principles of calculus.
Unseen written exam (3 hrs).
- Binmore, K. and J. Davies. Calculus. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press
- Anthony, M. and N. Biggs. Mathematics for economics and finance: methods and modelling. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Course information sheets
Download the course information sheets from the LSE website.