In the 21st century the business world has been forced to face up to its responsibilities, principally by its customers and consumers, as well as through governmental regulations and global accords.
This module seeks to examine the nature and application of corporate governance in modern organisations while providing an understanding of corporate governance theories, including agency and stakeholder communications theories.
The module also examines issues of corporate social responsibility and how these intersect and interact with ethical issues, sustainability and sustainable development.
Main topics of the module include:
- Corporate governance: an introduction
- Corporate governance theories: agency, stakeholder, stewardship
- Corporate governance in leading countries
- Audit committees and risk management
- Corporate social responsibility in modern business organisations
- Corporate social responsibility and public policy, the media and the financial sector.