Global challenges such as climate change, the global financial crisis and high-profile corporate scandals have increased the pressure on businesses for more accountability and responsibility on social and environmental issues. As a result, businesses are increasingly required to understand such issues and integrate them into their everyday practice. Practitioners who have such knowledge are in high demand in the job market. This module seeks to advance understanding of how businesses can benefit from taking a more holistic approach to the marketplace.
- 21st century global challenges
- Introduction to sustainability and related concepts
- Markets, Marketing and society: what is driving change?
- The changing role of business in society
- Effective communication with stakeholders
- Contemporary consumer trends
- Consumer and buyer behaviour and sustainability
- Sustainable marketing strategies
- Developing and emerging markets
- Doing harm while attempting good: a critical eye on sustainable business practices
On successful completion of this module, you will be expected to be able to:
- understand the concept of sustainability and related concepts.
- understand what drives the increasing adoption of sustainability concepts by modern businesses.
- understand how businesses can benefit from adopting sustainability concepts.
- design marketing strategies for implementing sustainability.
- think critically and creatively in identifying, evaluating, and appraising alternative solutions to sustainability problems.
- undertake research into a sustainability-related problem, including applying assembling and data analysis skills.
- Online multiple choice question test (MCQs) (25%)
- Unseen end of term online examination (75%)
To qualify to register for a stand-alone individual module, applicants will need:
- Either, a bachelor’s degree which is considered at least comparable to a UK second class honours degree from an institution acceptable to the University;
- Or, a minimum of two years’ work experience in a relevant field. This will most commonly be in a management position but each application will be considered on a case-by-case basis.