Strategic Management (BA2070)
- European Business, the PEST framework for assessing the business environment and SWOT
- environmental scanning
- Culture and cultural differences in Europe.
- Theoretical explanations of European integration.
- An account of the main treaties and institutions
- The single European market (SEM) (also called the common market or sometimes the single internal market (SIM) or simply internal market (IM)).
- EU competition policy
- Mergers, liberalisation, state aid and, briefly, international affairs.
- The place and role of the MNE in a globalising world.
By the end of this module students should be able to:
- Understand how different institutions, policies and processes have shaped the European Union (EU) and the European business environment
- Analyse the interaction between policy frameworks and business behaviour
- Think systematically and critically about the integration process 3
- Appreciate and understand the challenges facing European Competitiveness
- Analyse the national, regional and global influences on European business
- Understand and examine the complex relationships between the EU and major trading partners (United States), and between the EU and emerging markets
- Think laterally and critically about European business – skills needed to be a successful European/international manager
- Undertake independent research on a key aspect of European business
This module is assessed by a two hour unseen written examination.
European Business (Johnson D., Turner C.)