This module will enable students to gain a critical overview of the concepts fundamental to understanding the experiences of gender-diverse and trans people in the broader context of wider society, in order to support patients on their individual journeys including before, during and after their time within specialist gender identity healthcare.
Main topics of the module include:
- Introduction to module & overview, terminology, definitions.
- How gender identity and sex develops.
- Gender diverse experiences of sexuality and sexual expression.
- Health and social care needs of gender diverse people including reproductive and sexual health.
- Core principles of care: cultural sensitivity, seamless transition and partnership with people with lived experience throughout their patient journey services.
- Current and past models of care, team working and interdisciplinary communication.
- Minority or marginalisation stress, mental health, self-harm and suicidality.
On successful completion of this module, you will be expected to be able to:
- explain the underpinning principles of cultural sensitivity and inclusivity (including using appropriate terminology and working in partnership with patients) and how these principles will inform your professional practice.
- critically evaluate the gender diverse experience in the context of the general population and reflect on the similarities and differences in healthcare relating to sexuality as distinct from healthcare relating to gender.
- explain the development of sex, gender and identity drawing on relevant evidence and theory.
- describe and critically analyse cultural context and understanding of models of care including models of MDT working and how service structure impacts on the individual.
- explain the specific health needs, including but not limited to, sexuality, relationships and access to sexual and reproductive health services.
- discuss minority or marginalisation stress, including self-harm, suicidality and other mental health issues, and its potential impact on good mental health.