The module aims to provide you with a theoretical and practical understanding of the evolving nature and applications of finance and accounting models. Such evolution - both natural and engineered, stems from changes in the economic, political, regulatory and technological environment. In so doing the module looks at the established history, the current situation, and explores implications for the future.
The module provides opportunities to demonstrate an ability to assess the impact of such changes on organisations and a range of relevant stakeholders. It also explores current issues in financial reporting, financial management and corporate finance disciplines.
Main topics of the module include:
- Issues in implementing accounting standards for financial reporting
- Sustainability and integrated reporting issues
- Financial risk management and the Basel Accord(s)
- The impacts, current and potential, of digital developments, including AI
- Issues impacting global mergers and acquisition activity.
On successful completion of this module, you will be expected to be able to:
- Understand and assess the significance of issues affecting the convergence and divergence of the international harmonisation of accounting standards for financial reporting.
- Understand and assess selected topical issues in sustainability, linking to integrated reporting.
- Understand and assess the significance of the Basel Accord(s), in relation to financial risk management and the financial operations and reporting by organisations.
- Understand and assess the significance of digital influences, including AI.
- Understand and assess the significance of issues impacting global mergers and acquisition activity.
- Coursework: up to 3,000 words; weighted at 100%