- Sustainability (including international tax avoidance)
- International harmonisation of accounting standards
- Financial risk management and the Basel Accord
- Required rates of return post-financial crisis
- Global mergers and acquisitions
- Corporate valuation techniques for social media organisations
If you complete the course successfully, you should be able to understand:
- The impact of the Basel Accord, in relation to financial risk management and the financial operations and reporting by organisations.
- The role and impact of bond valuations and yields in the post-financial crisis world.
- Issues relating to the corporate valuation and initial public offerings of global companies whose assets base involve significant intangibles (e.g. social media sites – Facebook, Twitter and Google).
- Issues impacting global mergers and acquisition activity.
- Issues affecting the convergence and divergence of the international harmonisation of accounting standards for financial reporting.
- Selected topical issues in sustainability including tax avoidance.
You should be able to:
- Think critically and creatively in selecting alternative solutions.
- Solve complex problems to support financial decisions.
- Identify and evaluate options for solving business problems.
- Undertake research into a financially-related business problem and apply skills in the assembly and analysis of the data collected.
You should have developed the following skills:
- Numeracy and quantitative skills, as applied to business management.
- Critical self-reflection skills, applied to business practice and experience.
- Effective skills for the communication of complex solutions to business-related decisions.
- Effective information technology skills.
- Self- and time-management skills.
This module is assessed by:
- Coursework: 50% (two equally-weighted items of coursework).
- Final Assessment: 50%.
The following is provided as part of the course materials after you register:
- Arnold, G., Modern financial markets & institutions: a practical perspective (Harlow: FT Prentice Hall, 2012).
- Clark, P. and R. Mills, Masterminding the deal (London: Kogan Page, 2013).
- Danielsson, J., Global financial systems: stability and risk (Harlow: Pearson, 2014).