This module provides an in-depth understanding of the importance of linking technology to corporate strategy, and of the tools and techniques that will enable middle and senior managers to develop, implement and manage technology strategy and innovation at the business and corporate levels to meet the new competitive challenges of the knowledge-driven world economy in the 21st Century.
Students will examine the key characteristics of the converging scientific and technological revolutions, their impact on technological trajectories, convergence and discontinuities, and their implications for technology and corporate strategy in existing manufacturing and service sectors.
- Scientific and technological revolutions in the 21st century: R&D concepts, long waves and national systems of innovation
- Technology and business strategy : 1st , 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation R&D
- Building a technology strategy
- Technology levels and R&D organisation: case-studies
- Sustaining and disruptive technologies
- The innovator’s solution: creating new markets.