Prerequisites / Exclusions
You must have A-level mathematics or equivalent.
This course may not be taken with:
- MT105a Mathematics 1
- MT105b Mathematics 2
- MT1174 Calculus
- Basics (functions)
- One-variable optimisation
- Functions of several variables
- Multivariate optimisation
- Matrices and linear equations
- Differential equations
- Difference equations
At the end of the course and having completed the essential reading and activities students should be able to:
- use the concepts, terminology, methods and conventions covered in the unit to solve mathematical problems in this subject
- solve unseen mathematical problems involving understanding of these concepts and application of these methods
- explain how mathematics can be used to solve problems in economics and related subjects
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the underlying mathematical principles
Unseen written exam (3hr).
- M. Anthony and N. Biggs, Mathematics for Economics and Finance, Cambridge University Press.
- K. Binmore and J. Davies, Calculus: Concepts and Methods, Cambridge University Press.