In some countries, degrees earned by distance and flexible learning may not be recognised by certain authorities or regulators for the purposes of public sector employment or further study. We advise you to explore the local recognition status before you register, even if you plan to receive support from a local teaching institution.
Local teaching support
Our courses are designed to be studied independently, but if you would like to attend classes, you can enrol at one of our approved local teaching centres around the world and benefit from local support and the facilities of a campus-style environment.
We will send you study materials developed by academics appointed by LSE. These include a Programme Handbook of practical information (such as how to enter exams); a Subject Guide for each course; and past exam papers and commentaries, which give you valuable tips for performing well in exams.
When you register, we will give you access to your Student Portal. You can then access your University of London email account and two other key resources:
- The Virtual Learning Environment (VLE). Here, you can access electronic copies of all printed study materials, resources including audio-visual and revision guides, and forums to discuss course material and work collaboratively with others.
- The Online Library holds thousands of journal articles which you can access free of charge. A dedicated helpdesk is available if you have any difficulties in finding what you need.
Each module is assessed by an unseen written exam, which is usually held in May or June. You can sit your exams at any approved centre around the world. These centres charge a fee for hosting the exams.
Your exam is set and assessed by academics at LSE, ensuring that your degree is of the same standard as those studying on-campus in London.
If you study the following courses from the Information System selection group, you will also need to undertake a project or coursework.
- IS1060 Introduction to information systems
- IS2182 Innovating digital systems and services
- IS3139 Software engineering: theory and application
- IS3159 Research project in information systems.
More about exams.