Public policy and management: development assistance
The purpose of this module can be summarised by the questions that students will be asked to think about and analyse in their study of this topic.
- Has aid increased the rate of economic growth in the aid recipient countries?
- Does aid change government policies?
- Does aid have a detrimental effect on governments’ accountability to their citizens?
- Do donor conditions have an effect on the quality of governance in recipient countries?
- Does the aid industry distort the labour market in recipient countries and adversely affect government capacity?
- Do donors need recipient governments more that governments need donors?
- Does food aid adversely affect food production?
- Does aid promote corruption?