Among the topics you may study are: women and writing in the early modern period; Jacobean drama; the origins of Elizabethan tragedy; literature of the commonwealth; Restoration comedy; surveys of the period, and other more specialist topics.
If you complete the course successfully, you should now:
- Have a detailed knowledge of a range of Renaissance and Restoration texts.
- Possess the knowledge and skills to identify the key formal and thematic features of literature of the period.
- Demonstrate critical understanding of how this period and its genres are related to relevant cultural and historical contexts.
- Be able to analyse and explain how rhetorical language contributes towards meaning in selected period texts.
- Be able to employ appropriate interpretative models and critical terms to read different texts studied on the course.
- Jacobean tragedy
- the Metaphysical poets
- Restoration Comedy
- Aphra Behn
- Lady Mary Wroth