As a student member of a committee, you would contribute to discussion and decision-making across a number of areas including the student lifecycle, learning, teaching, assessment, and technology. Membership of committees include senior academics from the University’s member institutions, senior managers from the University and a number of external members.
In this role, you would also be appointed to the Student Voice Group (SVG), which meets three to four times a year to discuss issues concerning student engagement and the student experience. Reporting directly to the University’s Senior Leadership Team (SLT), the group is made up of the nine students who are members of the University’s committees, 16 ‘student voice champions’ from around the world, and representatives of the University.
You would be required to attend between six and eight meetings throughout the academic year at the University of London’s offices in Bloomsbury, central London.
Responsibilities of student members
- Read documents and extracting relevant information from committee papers;
- Attend between six and eight committee meetings in London;
- Advise on issues relating to your committee from your perspective as a student;
- Contribute to committee discussion and to the production of committee papers;
- Participate in Student Voice Group (SVG) meetings and agenda setting where appropriate;
- Contribute to projects relating to enhancing the student experience (optional);
- Write posts for the University’s Official Student Blog (optional).
- You must be a student with us during your appointment;
- You must have completed and passed your first year modules with the University (if you have not received your results yet, you would still be welcome to apply);
- You must be available on the dates specified in the application pack.
Travelling to London
- Your travel expenses to attend meetings will be covered by the University. As such, we welcome applications from students who are able to travel to meetings in London in a convenient and cost-effective way.
How to apply
- Download the application pack for student membership – undergraduate and postgraduate student
- Read the general responsibilities and eligibility criteria for student membership in the application pack.
- Reflect on the short description of what each committee does, think about why this interests you, and think about relevant experiences you have to offer the committee.
- Check you are available on the dates listed for the committee(s) you are applying to join.
- Apply online by 9.00am on Thursday 23 August 2018.
- In your application you will be asked to give examples of how your experience matches the YouEngage skill blocks for student membership. Also, tell us about any experience you have that you feel relates to the business of our committees and other relevant information about yourself.
If you have any questions or would like to request the application pack in an alternative format, please email the Student Affairs Team.