With the globalisation of markets, expertise in modern languages is becoming increasingly important as candidates with intercultural skills become more and more sought after by employers. The skills developed in our BA in French Studies with Business are highly valued, especially for anyone planning to embark on an international career in business.
The French language is the third most useful language in business and is spoken by 220 million people on all 5 continents. It has a long history as an international language of commerce, diplomacy, literature, and scientific standards and is one of the official languages of many international organisations including the United Nations, NATO, the OECD and the European Union.
The University of London Institute in Paris offers a unique Major/Minor programme of study delivered over three years of residency in Paris. Not only does it offer everyday exposure to French life and language, enabling you to acquire a high level of proficiency in the French language, but it will also give you the opportunity to gain a specialist focus on the economic, social and political environments affecting business organisations with particular reference to European and Francophone contexts.
Supported by intensive teaching in small groups, the majority of which are delivered and assessed in French, the BA programme will also prepare you for graduate work in a range of disciplines including the humanities, international relations, law, education, translation, applied linguistics and communications.
The University of London Institute in Paris is at the heart of a metropolitan capital city which offers many resources such as libraries, museums, theatres and cinemas. Living and studying in Paris will not only allow you to apply course content in real life, but will also enable you to become a near-native speaker and show employers that you are mature and adaptable in an international environment.
Some of the degree benefits include:
- Study in a safe and stimulating learning environment that combines the benefits of a small welcoming institute with the advantages of a top UK university. Fully realise your academic potential by immersing yourself in French culture and society for three years.
- Develop your language skills to advanced proficiency in the five core competencies (reading, writing, listening, speaking conversationally, speaking continuously) through courses taught and assessed predominantly in French, while enhancing your capacity for critical analysis and intercultural understanding.
- Broaden and deepen your knowledge and understanding of key historical and cultural aspects of modern France and the francophone world through the study of visual culture, literature, cinema and linguistics. Students benefit from small and intensively taught classes led by experts in their respective fields.
- Gain a secondary specialism that will complement your study of French language and develop your ability to communicate in a range of professional contexts, as well as enhance your knowledge in theories of and issues in business, management, finance and human resources, with a specifically European outlook.
- Improve your employability as well as your capacity for postgraduate study by developing valuable transferable skills from your international experience while studying in a UK institution in Paris, the gateway to continental Europe.