Making a copy
Digital cameras and other handheld devices may be used to take digital images of Special Collections material in the Special Collections Reading Room for non-commercial / personal research and private study only and according to the following guidelines:
- No tripods, or other stands
- No flash photography
- Devices should be set to ‘silent mode’
- If your device has a wrist/neck strap please use it to reduce the risk of dropping the device
- You will be asked to stop if other researchers are being distracted
Copyright: it is your responsibility as the researcher taking taking digital photographs to ensure that the taking and subsequent use of images complies with copyright legislation.
A Reproductions Service is also available, and orders can be placed in the Special Collections Reading Room or online. Images for publication or other reproduction should be ordered through the Reproductions Service.
The Library owns its own copyright in every Reproduction supplied – this is separate from any copyrights that may subsist in the original material
If you wish to publicly disseminate a Reproduction – for example, in a publication, website, exhibition or broadcast – you must first apply for the Library’s permission in the form of a Licence.
If the original material is not out of copyright, you will also need the permission of the relevant copyright owner(s) – the Library cannot grant permission on behalf of a third party.
How to apply
- You can apply for a Licence using the Reproductions Order Form
- Once we receive your application, we will send you a Licence for you to sign and return to us, and a Payment Summary so you can pay the relevant fee online with a credit or debit card
- If we have not already supplied the Reproduction, you can order it at the same time as the Licence using the Reproductions Order Form, and we will send you a Payment Summary for the total amount to include the cost of the Reproduction and the applicable Licence fee
- Once you have signed the Licence and made payment, we will send you a confirmed Licence authorising use of the material
- We reserve the right to request, as a condition of the Licence, a copy of the physical item containing the material once it becomes available