Our Library Loans and Copies service supplies other libraries with original items on loan, and extracts from books, journal articles, law reports, conference papers and other items. We supply libraries in the UK and overseas. Go to the Library Loans and Copies Guide for information about prices and how to use the service.
Copies are supplied for non-commercial research or private study, in accordance with UK and EU law, on the understanding that the end-user signs a copyright declaration before the copy is supplied to them.
- We do not loan some categories of material: journals, government publications, maps, law reports, psychological tests, items marked ‘Reference Only’ on our catalogue, items more than 100 years old, DVDs/Videos.
- Items are usually loaned for 4-6 weeks at a time, with free renewals available upon request up to a maximum loan period of 24 weeks.
- Items are usually loaned for home reading, although you should tell us when you place a request if this is essential.
Most University of London theses are available through the British Library’s EThOS service. We can also supply original theses from the University’s International Programmes, for loan to libraries in the UK and Republic of Ireland. Theses are always loaned for library use only and may not be photocopied while on loan.
Placing an order
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with details of the item you require. If you would like to pay using a British Library account, please include your British Library account number and a request reference.
- If we cannot supply the item, we will let you know within a few days. Otherwise, the item will usually be supplied within 7 working days.
- If your Library is based outside the UK or Republic of Ireland, we will send you a Payment Request before supplying the item. You can then either confirm you will send IFLA vouchers to cover the cost, authorise us to debit your British Library account, or make a secure online credit or debit card payment on the University’s website.
- Library Loans are always shipped by Parcel Force.
- Library Copies are usually shipped by web download: we will send you a link via email so you can download the document and supply a printed copy to the end-user. We can also supply Library Copies by post – by first class post (in the UK) or Airmail.
email@example.com | 020 7862 8447