Education is an essential public service and so the Library will continue to operate a limited service for members during lockdown and while there are coronavirus related restrictions in place.
We are providing a Click & Collect Service for offsite study.
Onsite study spaces are available for Library members (by advance online booking only) Monday to Thursday, 11am-3pm.
You can book a 3 hour study space online in advance. Bookings are processed Monday-Friday. Timed entry slots are in operation Monday and Tuesday only, between the hours of 11am and 2.45pm to help manage social distancing. The Library will close promptly at 3pm.
The check in desk (Welcome Desk) is on the 4th floor of Senate House (South Block). Please ensure that you have your booking confirmation and membership card, before going up to the Library.
Here's a short video (3 mins) showing you how it all works and the changes made for your safety.
Key points to remember:
- Access to the Library will not be permitted without a face covering (unless exempt), your email booking confirmation and membership card.
- The number of study spaces available may change at short notice, in response to health and safety precautions.
- Check In & Scan QR code to use your booked study space – we will (only) use check in information to assess demand for space, usage and for urgent service messages while on site.
- All other areas of the Library are closed except for the 4th floor Service Hall where you can access laptops for use on site via the self-service lockers & printers for scanning/photocopying (free until 31 January 2021).
- Only books on the open shelves of the Library are available for study and must be ordered online in advance via Click & Collect (Bookings processed Monday-Friday) - on site browsing is not permitted.
- Wash hands regularly - hand sanitiser is available at all help desks and in the reading rooms
- Always follow social distancing rules, health advice and instructions by staff on site
- Senate House Library staff will check your booking on arrival and may change your seat allocation. This is to ensure adequate social distancing & the safest study environment possible for all readers while onsite. If you are exempt from wearing a face mask, we may upgrade your study space to a carrel & advise on alternative ways to access services to minimise the risk of spreading the virus.