Use local suppliers and locally sourced products
When looking for suppliers for your eco friendly event, it’s important to make sure they are local.
From your food to your event decorations, right the way through to any equipment rental - the less distance the suppliers need to travel in order to reach your event the better.
Sustainable event management at University of London Venues
At University of London Venues, we go above and beyond when it comes to helping you run green and sustainable events and are committed to reducing our environmental impact.
We have recently been awarded the ‘Highly Commended’ Status by the Camden Climate Change Alliance for our work on energy efficiency and carbon reduction, having reduced our emissions by 51% since 2010. All of the venues we offer are powered by renewable energy sources, meaning from the start of the booking process to the day of the event, your event has already minimised its environmental impact.
Along with energy reduction and efficiency, the waste generated from our events is never sent to landfill. Using our buy-back scheme on unopened food and drinks items, we minimise the total waste produced by our clients, along with ensuring the remaining waste is recycled. We also have on-site provisions for the composting of food waste.
Given our location in Central London, our venues are well connected to the public transport system ensuring transport-related emissions from your event are reduced, along with our provision of cycle storage aiming to promote active, non-carbon intensive means of travel to Bloomsbury Venues. Our in-house audio-visual, furniture and photography services also ensure that transport-related emissions from out-sourcing these services are avoided.
Catering forms a core part of our service, and here at University of London Venues, we go the extra mile to ensure this service is as green as possible. In collaboration with our Sustainability and Catering Teams, we run a number of initiatives focusing on sustainable food and consumption:
- Our Sustainable Food and Fairtrade Policy that ensures sustainability is embedded in our catering services. We have also replaced the majority of the packaging in our cafes with compostable alternatives.
- We aim to reduce the supply chain emissions related to our catering services by working very closely with our suppliers and contractors to source locally where possible.
- A catering team that provides extra vegetarian and vegan options to reduce the carbon associated with eating meat and dairy.
- Working with our in-house sustainability team, we lead initiatives to promote the reduction of single-use plastic waste from our catering options.
- Our bees on the roof of the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies help pollinate the local area (as well as using their honey as part of our catering service).
- Our selection of London based services, such as our audiovisual, furniture hire, and photography partners. This means you can rely on us to supply all the services you need for your event without having to source them from afar.
- We maintain our ISO14001:2015 accreditation, related to our environmental management system.